Saturday 17 July 2010

Thrifty ways... one for the girls.

Being from Yorkshire I am constantly being told I am tight but I wholly disagree. It is my passionate dislike for waste in todays society that people confuse with being a scrooge. Whilst I am encouraged when I see the boxes of paper and plastics lined up in the streets of Aberdeen on recycling day I believe there is so much more we can do as individuals by just reusing items in our daily lives. It is true that these small individual efforts make very little difference on the grand scale of energy saving and pollution but it is the development of an attitude and a behaviour that that leads to the collective efforts of individuals that does make the difference.
One of my favourites is the reuse of tights/stockings as hair bands, though only those that contain lycra will do. A hole or ladder in your favourite pair renders them useless and this can often happen after one wear. Of course first wash the tights then remove and throw away the crotch and feet. The tights are then cut perpendicular to their length to form hairbands that don't have the annoying little metal clasps that tear and break your hair. The thinner band the less elasticity it will have so cut the bands thick enough so they retain their shape for longer.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment