Friday 29 April 2011

Blog Back in Business

It has been some time since I last visited my blog, infact it’s over a year. It died a death when I left Slack Oil and moved back to The Deen at the end of 2009. Writing blog articles took a back seat when I was faced with a more demanding career,coupled with no home internet connection. As it happened, 2010 turned out to be probably the most significant year of my life with its consequences playing out in 2011.

For those who need to be brought up to date..

At the end of 2009 I left Slack Oil and Bergen and moved back to Aberdeen. It was a move that was made with mixed emotions, I was relieved to be leaving Bergen and the frustrations of working in a large oil company but sad to be leaving John behind and embarking on a long distance relationship for the second time.

After a month of R&R (including 2 weeks skiing in Canada and 1 week windsurfing in Tobago) I started my new job started in February 2010. I was met with great colleagues and interesting projects and all in all the move turned out to be everything I was hoping it would be and more. The following month John came over to Aberdeen and whisked me away to Pittodrie House for my birthday weekend. After a fine meal and in a beautiful setting John popped the question and of course I said yes. Arrangements soon began for a summer wedding in 2011.

In May, John and I travelled to Utah to celebrate Johns brothers 40th and involved lots of mountain biking, canyoneering and river rafting. It was an amazing trip and I was so happy to have tagged along when I discovered soon after my return that I was pregnant. Outdoor activities of these kinds were now on hold.

Last but not least, after months of searching for our family home in the Aberdeenshire countryside we acquired ‘Cowieswells’ in the September. It consists of a run down farmhouse and a derelict steading and bothy just 15 miles south of Stonehaven in the village of Catterline. Why not add a renovation project to our list of things to do in 2011!?

So if I am to resurrect my blog I have to accept that with a new baby, a wedding to plan and a house to build I no longer have time to research topics that have long interested me. The angle will have to change to something I know plenty about and can write articles in a short amount of time and what better to write about than all the exciting things happening around me. Not only does this keep family and friends up to date but it is also a journal of my transition into family life.

So where are we at? Sophie was born in February in Aberdeen and I am now 3 months into my maternity leave in Norway. Planning permission has just been accepted on Cowieswells and the wedding is to take place in just 5 weeks time.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment