Thursday 16 April 2009

Forerunner 201 Up and Running

A bit of a geeky post but I wish I'd had this information a few years ago!

I received a Garmin forerunner 201 for my birthday a few years ago from John. It has a personal training device that is worn like a watch and measures speed, distance and pace. It also claims to measure calories burned but as this version does not come with a heart rate monitor I'm not sure how reliable it is.

The beauty of the watch is being able to upload your training sessions to the PC and do sad and geeky data analysis to see how your training is improving... or not improving as the case may be. For some strange reason the watch connects to the computer through a serial cable and not usb. I bought a serial to usb converter but have had numerous failed attempts to connect it to my PC.

Using my new laptop which runs with the much critisised Windows Vista operating system I finally had succes in connecting my forerunner to a computer. I was simply directed to the Prolific website to download and install the PL2303 Prolific driver installer. Result!

I look forward to being able to provide a time estimate for the Bergen Voss.

No comments:

Post a Comment