Sunday 26 April 2009

Skarverennet

I took part in the Skarverennet this weekend, a 38 km cross country ski race that runs every year from Finse to Haugastøl. We took the train from Bergen at 8am and we were each full of anticipation for different reasons. I knew I could make the distance physically as I had particpated in the Birkebeinerennet (54 km cross country ski race) last year but I was most worried about the waxing of my skiis.

Cross country skiis are a few cm's wide and the racing variety do not have metal edges. To be able to get some 'kick' when your skiing it is necessary to apply wax to the central part of the underside of the ski. I had, up until this race used only waxless skiis which have a rough underside which give you the same kick effect but is seen as 'unsporting' and 'unethical' by the locals. After completing the Birkebeiner last year in waxless skiis I felt I needed to gain some respect from my Norwegian colleagues... one of whom said recently 'I didn't even realise they made waxless skiis for adults'.

Waxing skiis seems to be a form of black art if you are not Norwegian as there is a type of wax for a multitude of temperatures and wetnesses and are combined in layers. At this time of year the snow is warm and wet which presents itself as the perfect klister conditions. Klister is a type of ski wax that is extremely sticky and for full effect should be smeared smoothly into your skiis, this is best acheived with your hands. See photo of local. Problems are plentyful and range from having to long or too short a wax zone, not smearing the wax smooth enough, having to much or too little wax (because most of it has ended up stuck to yourself) and of course having the wrong wax for the conditions. To complicate matters further the number of skiiers directly ahead of you on the trail can change the snow conditions which can make your waxing useless.

The waxing of the day was first a pre-prepared ski with base binder in the central kick zone and glider wax on the outer parts. Mine had been prepared for the Birkebeiner the previous year and as I had not used them they were ready to go. At the start of the ski race I applied a universal klister, suitable for +3°C to -5°C, mixed wet and dry snow conditions (fine/medium coarse) to coarse, moist snow. After the day had warmed up I then applied the Swix KR70 klister which is for warmer conditions +12°C to +2°C and when the snow has a high water content such as slush. Don't worry if I lost you!

All you need to know is the weather was stunning and the waxing was under control! We completed in 5 3/4 hours and then lazed in the sun, having a beer and watched the Norwegians swing dance in their ski boots.
Athletic events in Norway mostly attract those with great athletic prowess and tend to be quite serious affairs. The Skarverennet is different, amongst the 14,000 participants you can find people from all walks and of all different skiing abilities (huge benefit for us foreigners) but one thing I didn't see was a Barney Rubble!

No comments:

Post a Comment